Statement “girls are not interested into engineering” is wrong.
Take me as an example. I had loving parents, but they had strong opinion what kind of toys are meant for girls. I beg them, but still never got a car or train to play with. Never understood why I cannot wear pretty dresses AND play with the trains?
Later at school we had craftsmanship lessons. Girls did cooking, knitting, crochet, weaving, boys could build something from wood and they took plumbing lessons. One thing I was interested in, but never were allowed to try. Because I was a girl.
At university one of my professors once told me: no way you wrote this code yourself!
It was so frustrating… I did not get chances to show what I am capable of OR every time I delivered something, my work got questioned just because I have no penis!
Based on my experience here are seven simple suggestions how you can attract girls to engineering:
- give chances to girls to try
- do not question results what they deliver. no comments that they could do better. they will do better after some time of practice
- invite not just one girl, but all her girlfriends. it is safer to fail, if your friends are around you
- find a role model. tell stories about women, who was the very first programmer, did very first debugging, wrote code to fly to the moon etc.
- listen when a girl talks
- make no suggestions if she does not ask for those. let her figure it out for herself
- if you see somebody doing opposite what I wrote in 1-6, call him/her out, tell that it is wrong. tell to the girl, that it is wrong